Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Rabbits, Rabbits Everywhere, Frith Help Us!

Watership Down
by Richard Adams
 p. 1972 







I didn’t start this blog intending for it to be a feminist literature blog; I truly had no intentions of discussing gender roles every single time I read a book and I don’t, on the whole, it just happens that I’ve read a lot of books written between the fifties and seventies lately, and by chance Watership Down is just the latest in a string of books where discussing gender roles cannot be ignored, especially since it figures directly into the plot here.


I had no idea what to expect plot-wise, as I'd never read Watership Down as a kid, though it would have been right up my alley, given my love of animal adventures (my first ever ‘book’, written by my first-grade self, was a story about ten animal friends; is now notoriously lost to the ages). Watership Down is not a kid-friendly adventure in the vein of Brian Jacques’ Redwall series, though it would not be inappropriate for all kids, just those with more... delicate sensibilities. It is never graphic, but there are descriptions of rabbits being killed that could scare younger readers.


The plot is simple; Hazel, the protagonist, is a young, sturdy rabbit whose brother Fiver, the runt of the litter and a prophet of sorts, predicts a dire future for the warren in which they’ve lived their whole lives. Fiver is a peculiar creature among rabbits but Hazel trusts him and manages to convince a few other youngsters to follow them on their journey into the unknown. Since rabbits are prey to pretty much everything, they encounter many dangers on the way but eventually settle a new warren on Watership Down and are content to live out their days... until they discover they totally forgot to bring girls along.


The second half of the book is concerned primarily with finding some girls to populate their new digs and have their many rabbit babies. Call me crazy but I caught on to this oversight right away when they kept introducing more and more androgynously-named rabbits (like Hazel, Holly and Strawberry, to name a few) and none of them turned out to be female, but none of our heroes joined me in this revelation. This is explained by the excuse that rabbits do not have the capacity to think beyond the immediate danger (and this excuse is widely supported by their simplicity), but I still found it a little silly that none of them thought to convince a few girls to come along, especially since everyone that remained was brutally slaughtered and judging by the complacency of the does they eventually do bring home, it doesn’t seem crazy to think that it would have been easy to convince a few to join them.


There are a couple female rabbits of note later on but none of them ever come close to providing the same qualities that the male rabbits do. Their sole purpose in this novel and the only reason for including them is to procreate.  Apparently film and TV adaptations of Watership Down adjusted for political correctness and gender flipped a few rabbits, or made up a few, but as there were only a couple years in between these and the book’s publication, I have to wonder what the deal is. It makes me even sadder since Adams apparently wrote this story for his daughters, yet failed to include any girls. And it’s not even like all the rabbits are timid, dull creatures. Each of the male rabbits has their area of usefulness and moments of heroism, but the girls are left out. One of them even gets snatched by a fox and they shrug it off and say "what's one more or less doe?" In a story that highlights the importance of cultural evolution and innovation, why couldn't gender roles be challenged as well? I'm sure the girls would have fought just as bravely for the lives.


The women-exist-solely-as-breeders theme aside, there is still a lot to enjoy about Watership Down. Stylistically, I was reminded of The Hobbit in that we follow a group of unlikely heroes on an important journey. On the way they battle and overcome differences and tell stories. In the rabbits’ case, all of their stories center on a rabbit folk hero named El-ahrairah (“Prince with a Thousand Enemies”, as the footnotes translate), and his interactions with the woodland creatures as well as the rabbit (or “Lapine”) equivalents of God and Death, Frith (the sun) and the Black Rabbit of Inlé, respectively. Occasionally these stories would intersect with or inspire the events of the story, since El-ahrairah embodies the trickster spirit of rabbits and our heroes often had to think beyond their simple lives to survive. Mostly though, I found these deviations from the story tiresome and distracting.


My favorite character shifted as the story progressed and each rabbit had their moment to shine. Right off the bat I favored the protagonist Hazel, admiring him for his bravery and his faith in his brother which thrust him into a leadership position, but admonished him later for letting his ambitions lead him astray. Fiver, the prophetic brother, was a bit too spastic for me to enjoy at first, but he grew up a lot on the journey and had more moments of clarity than anyone; he never minded being universally despised either, he just did what he thought he had to to save his people. Holly, an early antagonist who almost prevents the group from leaving the warren, shows up later, one of only two survivors; shaken by traumatic events, he is humbled and helpful and helps the new group. Bluebell—the other survivor—holds a special place in my heart for being the eternal joker who gets his friends through hard times. Dandelion is the quickest runner and the ablest storyteller and Blackberry is the cleverest rabbit of them all, able to imagine his way out of every scrape using skills incomprehensible to his friends. Even the villain, General Woundwort, is a remarkably sympathetic antagonist, one you can’t help but admire a little for his stalwartness. The only rabbit I strongly adored consistently was Bigwig, the fighter, a constant source of strength and loyalty, who challenges Hazel when he needs challenging but nobly steps aside when he realizes he is not the true leader. Bigwig suffers perhaps more than any other rabbit but he remains Watership Down’s staunchest ally.


My only other complaint is that [spoiler alert! Highlight text to read] no rabbits actually die on the entire journey OR in the climatic end battle, with the exception of a few does (but who cares about them, AM I RIGHT?!) and a few of Woundwort’s men. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not gunning for their blood or advocating a rabbit snuff tale or anything, but I think it took a lot away from the impact of the journey that there were no losses. To stand up for what you believe in takes courage and can be rewarding but even kids should learn that taking a stand sometimes has consequences. At the end of the story, when everyone lived happily ever after, I didn’t really feel like as much was at stake as I would have if we’d seen a few of the characters lost along the way.


This book was definitely not what I was expecting, and I wonder how differently I would be looking at it if I had read it as a child. As it stands, I was a little disappointed I didn’t like it more as an adult. I was a little interested in checking out the film and TV versions... until I found out that BOTH versions carelessly omitted Bluebell, which I found to be a severe error in judgment on their parts. I will now be boycotting any version until they make one that includes my favorite trickster rabbit. TAKE NOTE HOLLYWOOD. (And while you’re at it, give a few of the good parts to the ladies, will ya?)

No comments:

Post a Comment