Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Hannibal Lecter's Humble Beginnings

Red Dragon
by Thomas Harris
p. 1981





Red Dragon is the first book in the series by Thomas Harris that features notorious cannibal Hannibal Lecter, a character whose history I am slowly becoming familiar with. My first encounter with Lecter was, like most people, from the 1991 horror film, “Silence of the Lambs,” where he was famously portrayed by extra-creepy Anthony Hopkins. However, my preferred version of Lecter is from Bryan Fuller’s darkly indulgent NBC show, “Hannibal,” probably because it heavily emphasizes the relationship between Lecter and the profiler who originally caught him, Will Graham. Seeing as Red Dragon was the only book to feature Graham as a protagonist, I knew I’d have to read it eventually, and now was the best time for it seeing as a) the long hiatus between seasons has me in some serious withdrawal and b) though things play out differently on the show, judging by the timeline, the events of Red Dragon should start to crop up in the upcoming season, most notably in the form of its chief antagonist Francis Dolarhyde.

It was fun and revelatory reading Red Dragon after absorbing two seasons of “Hannibal.” I can easily see how Fuller was inspired from Harris’ text to translate the psyche of Will Graham to the small screen. I think the show’s portrayal of and casting for Graham is just spot on, although I think the show makes Graham more sympathetic (or perhaps just pathetic) and certainly more complicated. I can see why this was done; if the show is to depict Graham on a long term basis, he’s going to have to throw himself into more complicated plots. The novel version of Graham, as I understand it, plays his part here and quietly lives out a depressing retirement. The TV version of Graham may have mistakenly given me a greater impression of his importance to the Hannibal Lecter mythology, but I have to admit it’s been nice seeing such intense emphasis on Graham’s history, as it is only briefly touched upon in Red Dragon.

I could go on forever about the show, but I don’t want to downplay how much I enjoyed this book. I was enthralled with Thomas Harris’ writing style, and found myself pushing on chapter after chapter even if I had things besides reading that I should have been doing. With the emphasis on Graham’s profiling skills—enhanced as they are by his intelligence, his eidetic memory, and his ability to wholly empathasize with everyone, be they victim or killer—the whole thing sort of read like a really long, really intense episode of “Criminal Minds.” By the halfway point of the novel, we know who the killer is and, through his point of view, we begin to understand his psychosis, but there is still tension in wondering how and when the two will inevitably collide. Dolarhyde, Lecter, Graham, Jack Crawford, Freddy Lounds—these are all powerful personalities whose interactions are like a powder keg waiting to go off. We learn just enough about each character to leave me thoroughly invested in their part of the plot. Freddy Lounds is a bastard you just love to hate. Crawford and his team are efficient and whip smart. And Dolarhyde is downright sympathetic at times. I was surprised to find myself feeling so sorry for him and his relationship with Reba McClane left me feeling really complicated. She brought out the twisted killer’s humanity yet I felt so so afraid for her throughout the whole ordeal.

The only thing I didn’t care for was the abrupt ending and the tacked on twist, especially when I looked back and realized that Will Graham actually did very little to stop Francis Dolarhyde. Granted, only one more body turned up after Graham got involved in the case (and arguably, Lounds’ demise was his own fault), and it can be argued that without the profiler’s involvement, another family might have been slain, but in actuality, the FBI does very little to take out Dolarhyde. He fakes his own death the first time around to get away; Graham and Crawford don’t show up until after and mistakenly assume that everything is over. Their mistake leads Dolarhyde to come back a second time where he almost kills Graham before ultimately being taken out by Molly. The thorough profile on Dolarhyde which Graham spent weeks putting together didn’t quite end up mattering, as they only secured the killer’s identity when he had started to slip.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed this book—its characters and dialogue especially. I look forward to seeing how “Hannibal” will treat this plot in the upcoming season. It’s got to be better than the 1986 version, “Manhunter,” which I thought was doing a pretty good job until about the halfway point when it seems like they rushed to finish it up, cutting and pasting scenes with haphazard care. I could have overlooked the over-the-top cheesy 80s vibe, but I couldn’t forgive the misinterpretation of Dolarhyde. The ending totally misconstrued the profile, which, to me, was kind of the whole point of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment